What We Are About Here at Music on the One

"What is Soul? Soul is the ring around your bathtub..." — Funkadelic, "What is Soul" (1970) Welcome to the funkiest c...

Thursday, December 28, 2017

Diggin' Ain't EZ, chapter 2

[Part two of our ongoing series. I'm on vacation now, so I'll just be highlighting anything interesting i pick up while I'm gone, but when I get back, we'll head into my collection as assembled so far, and as it grows.]

Chapter Two: I'm Just Like You: Sly's Stone Flower, 1969-70 (Light in the Attic Records, 2014) —


A compilation of tracks from several protégé acts on Sly Stone's short-lived Stone Flower label (some are by Sly himself), which was running from 1969-70. Several of these tracks I have heard before, on the 2006 mega-compilation by Rhino called What It Is!: Funky Soul and Rare Grooves (4 x CD, a great bargain, especially when you find it at the public library and can rip the discs).

This is a lovely double LP set and includes a booklet with liner notes & photos, as well as a great inner gatefold photograph of a "funk box," the Maestro Rhythm King, an early drum machine popularized by Sly Stone (1971's "Family Affair" was the first #1 pop single to use a drum machine), and featured in both 6ix's "I'm Just Like You" and Little Sister's "Stanga".

Inner Gatefold image of the LP, featuring the Maestro Rhythm King
As I dig around some more with the liner notes and give the album a listen, I'll provide more information. Really eager to hear this though. Merry fucking Xmas!

Update: After giving it a listen, I'm really impressed. I love the murky, gurgling, seething sound of There's a Riot Goin' On (1971), and this is more of the same. The drum machine writhes & insinuates, the singing alludes, the accompaniment keeps its counsel. You are thrust into the deeply conflicted mind of Sly, and it's an awkward place to be. Though there's a bit of repetition on this, with all the alternate tracks, the experience of listening is very much not to be missed.

Track Listing:

A) Little Sister - You're the One (pt. 1 & 2) **
Sly - Just Like a Baby
Joe Hicks - Home Sweet Home (pt 2)
6ix - I'm Just Like You
Little Sister - Somebody's Watching You (full band) (same song that appears on 1969's Stand!)

B) Joe Hicks - Life & Death in G & A (pt 1 & 2) **
6ix - Trying to Make You Feel Good
Little Sister - Stanga
6ix - Dynamite (cover of a song originially on Sly's Life (1968))
Little Sister - You're the One (early version)

C) Joe Hicks - I'm Goin' Home (pt 1)
Sly - Africa ** [seething instrumental]
Little Sister - Somebody's Watching You (see above)
6ix - You Can, We Can

D) 6ix - I'm Just Like You (full band) ** [hot, better than original]
Sly - Spirit
6ix - Dynamite (alternate)
Sly - Scared

** Highlight tracks, essential listening

No comments:

Post a Comment